I can tell how difficult and frustrating it is when you decide to show that super recipe of yours. Maybe you need a little help in starting a food blog of tasty homemade recipes to delight your customers and friends but have no idea of how to start it.
You might be thinking of becoming a more successful food blogger or starting a cooking blog, amd you need access to the right imformation. Not to worry, this article is written with you in mind to give the step by step guide to kick starting your own food blog for taste of recipes. Technical or no technical, be sure to get rid of all the difficulties after you’ve digested and put to use all of the tips as they will be giving below.
Taste of Home Recipes Food Blogging Tips
I want to believe that you have been doing some research on food blogging. It is most likely that one of your research redirected you to this page. In the process of your research, I want to believe that you discovered that there are a million of food blogging influencers. A food blogging influencer is definitely making a life and cool money out of blogging about foods – lots of taste of home recipes.
Food and cooking is wide, there are a lot of cuisines, cultures and varying reasons for eating. The first step to take is to “find your niche as a foodie”.
Step 1 – Find your Niche as a Foodie.
Foods varies in a lot of ways. From common foods to uncommon ones, junk to healthy, austere or decadent, traditional to modern, freshness to stale and what have we. A popular saying as it that ” one man’s food is another man’s poison”. It is what it is. If I do not like to feed on junks, I can’t successfully operate a foodie niche that has me stuck on creating junks. It will end as soon as it starts. It will be better off for me to have my niche on the kind of food I love to cook or/and eat.
You should not begin your publishing process without having selected a niche for your food blog. No! Do not out the cart before the horse. Identifying your foodie niche will being out the uniqueness in your blog from the existing ones. So now, what is a foodie niche?
A niche simply puts is the focus of your blog. That one thing your blog will be known and identified for. In like manner, your foodie niche is what kind of food will your blog be focused on. If I love to cook Chinese Cuisine, I can have my food blog of home recipes focused on “Chinese Cuisine” or if I like to cook in large batches, I can have my food blog niche to be “Large batch cooking”. So it means, whichever choice I make from the two options above, it is what I will be known for in the world of food blogging.
Another helpful tip in choosing a foodie niche is to consider what type of audience you will like to reach with your food blog, the young or the old? Men or women? It answers the question ” who will my cooking appeal to the most? “
Importance of Choosing a “Foodie’ Niche for your Food Blog
I bet at this point you have a few ideas already established in your head as to the importance of a foodie niche. To be an unloved and unseen food blogger is the last thing you want to become. Getting your niche defined will help you to:
- Keep your content more effectively organized – For example, if your niche is defined to have the aged ones running to your website. You know that your audience will need you to organize your contents to meet their needs, wants or habits.
- Enable you to obtain useful information about your online audience – Researching who they are and what they want well ahead of time will get you to be an expert. It will also get your blog to the level at which it attains your audience trusts and credibility.
- Get traffic to your blog with search engine optimization – If you understand your niche well and know what is expected of you, you will have a good understanding of the keywords in your niche. Having a good understanding of the keywords in your niche means you will be able to make good use of the keywords in your contents. This has no order results that getting traffic to your blog site and in no time you would have been able to grow your influence in the niche.
Step 2 – Select a Good Blog Name
Selecting a good and catchy blog name is a good way to attract target readers to your blog site
A blog name gives the information of what your food blog is all about, your company, your food recipes, and more in a very short period. Your blog name is also known as a domain name. Buying your domain name is very essential as it makes your blog name stands out and belongs to you. We will get into the detail in some few lines away from here.
Picking a blog name might be tricky and difficult as it must be unique from other blog names. You don’t have to worry below are tips to choose your blog name.
- Choose a short, easy to remember, spell, and easy to pronounce blog name. This makes it easy for your target readers to find and locate your food blog. Your readers should be able to remember your blog name easily. Not a lot of people have the talent of remembering long blog names. Some people even find it hard to pronounce long names or spell them correctly and that might reduce the interest of your target readers.
- Use your name or your nickname for better clarification of your blog. Reflect on your target readers’ interests and what catches their attention. A blog name should be able to reflect the need of your target audience and satisfy their wants before getting it on the web.
Now that you have gotten a name for your food blog (which us better) or maybe you are yet to decide on what name to give your food blog. Don’t worry about it too much you can always come back with a good blog name later.
You are ready to have your food blog online and you will be learning how. Your food blog needs to be processed online. The next step to take are the ones to resolving the technical problems. I’m sure you know creating and cooking recipes is just a part of the process.
Step 3 – Select a Blogging Platform
It’s a hard decision to make in choosing a blogging platform since there are a lot of blogging platform nowadays. Below are the list of blogging platform you can choose from to start food blogging.
- HubSpot CMS
You know what exactly what we want in a good blogging platform? Easy to set up, has a learning curve and doesn’t require any coding skills.
It’s is very essential to think of the future while deciding which food blogging platform to start with, a good blogging platform that gives room for the growth of the blog. As the blog grows you may want to change the apperance of your site and add more contexts to your growing audience particularly new awe recipes.
Making the mistake of starting with the wrong blogging platform can become a nightmare switching on later. And you must understand your area of specialisation i.e. your niche as in step 1 above.
Here we are dealing with food blogging, our focus now is on a platform that promotes food blogging, Flexible and with room to grow and expand and this brings us to the WordPress blogging Platform.
WordPress is an established and versatile publishing platform that’s been over for almost two decades and now hosts more than 34% of all websites on the Internet. Even 95% of food bloggers use WordPress
WordPress.org is an empty basis free blogging platform that allows you to build your website or blog within minutes. It’s obvious at this degree that WordPress is the best food blogging platform you can find on internet.
WordPress blogging platform positive review came because
- Of it’s ease of use
- Of it’s regular improvement and development
- It does not restrict the user in any way with its unending customization features.
- The basic installation is at zero cost (free)
- Of the availabily of a lot of free or low-cost themes and plugins
Step 4 – Choose a Domain
Your domain name is the same as your food blog name. But why is it so important you wondered? Well! Because your domain name is to your blog site what your eyes is to your body.
Your domain name will not only reflect your brand and niche, it will also stand as the “online” address by which you use in directing traffic – friends (supporters of your brands) and enemies (your brand competitors coming to check out the competition) to your blog homepage.
A domain name is a user-friendly and easy to remember part of the URL address that the internets use in locating a website on the internet. They are most times referred to as a “web address”. Choosing your domain name won’t be hard if you follow the tips highlighted below.
- Keep it simple and short while avoiding confusing spellings.
- Include keywords in your foodie niche
- Do a Domain name search to check if your Domain name choice has not already be taken and in use by someone else.
Step 5 – Select a WordPress Hosting Platform
To house your server on the web, you need a web hosting. A web host is in the space, round the clock it is always connected and available. The web hosting that will best support WordPress blogging platform and that will get you a good review should be your choice.
A not to good or not well supporting hosting will not cause your site to be available round the clock. Your site can go offline and your audience trying to check your site at that moment will get error messages in place of your blog homepage. Do you know what this can cause? It can cause you to lower your audience and subscriber base and it could also make you appear less in visibility search. Below are some of the top considerations for choosing an hosting platform.
For the sake of this article, we will be considering the Bluehost for the hosting platform.
Navigating through the Bluehost Hosting Platform
- Choose a Plan – As regards the plan to choose on the Bluehost platform. I suggest selecting the “Choice Plus” plan because this plan comes with a lot of beneficial features some of them is the Domain Privacy, which will safeguard your private information i.e. your full name, phone number, email address, home address and email address from being publicized anywhere online as the possessor of your new food blog. Bluehost will be able to protect that information on your behalf on the “Choice Plus” plan
- Pick Domain Name on Bluehost. You’ll have to type in the food blog domain name you want to register with e.g (yumyumdonuts.com). Most of the time your blog domain name of choice might not be vacant, you can either try another idea that comes to your head. And you can select the option to choose your domain name later.
Then after ensuring your food blog’s domain name or maybe you decide to select it later, you’ll be taken to the final step—creating your account.
- Do your Account Creation on Bluehost. The first thing you should start with is the filling in of your account details like your name, address and email address after the completion of the form on this page you’ll take the next step
- Select the right hosting package for yourself. At this juncture you’ll choose an account plan founded on the price you want to shut in and how far in progress you’ll pay for today.
The choices BlueHost proposes you to pay 1, 2, 3 or 5 years upfront. They don’t offer a monthly payment plan (monthly payments tend to charge more and that’s the main reason why most hosting companies offers it). The price constantly comes out to be a good deal for getting your food blog online, with whichever plan you choose.
- Input your billing information in the space provided and check the box that you agree to Bluehost’s terms of service and then submit.
With that final step, You’ve finalized the first primary step of how to start a food blog.
Step 5 – Make use of WordPress Plugins to add Functions and Features to your Site.
Giving your readers a wonderful user experience and also make your food blog outstanding is the key tip to attain success when you start a food blog.
Now taking you through a few several sections of free resources to utilize in developing your food blog
1. WordPress Plugins – A plugin is a little portion of software that can be augmented to your food blog in order to add new gadgets and enhance how it works without writing any code. There are loads of free and paid plugins to choose from. Have fun enhancing your blog page with them.
2. A content management system (CMS) – also known as a blogging platform, allows you to publish recipes, reviews on your food blog, write blog posts, share images.
3. WordPress Themes – it will function as your food blog’s behind-the-scenes “template” that controls the pictorial format, glare and feel of everything on your food blog.
When newcomers arrive on your food blog, it’s normal for them to have questions about your food blog. They will always want to try new and special blogs. They will frequently admire how unique your food blog is from other food blogs. So take your time creating pages and posts. Examples of pages that you will need to create are your homepage, “about you” page, contact and an online potentially store page.
Step 6 – Start Writing and Publishing using keywords in your niche
You need best practices to thrive in the content you deliver on your page. Follow the tips below
- Get a good understanding of your niche, then communicate it well to your audience
- Put your audience interest above any other interest that may exist.
- Create a great, mouth watering and compelling first post. You know what they say about first impression?
- Create compelling Recipes and Recipe Images.
- Remember to apply a “call to action” at the end of every post.
How to Monetize your Food Blog
You need to consistently invest your time and effort into your food blog to make money through it. The two basic ways to earn through your food blog are through paid advertising or through the selling of your product/service.
- Paid Advertising – It is further grouped into three;
- Affiliate Marketing : this is achievable when you join an affiliate marketing platform. You get a link and put up this link on your post to mention about an item or product. For everyone that gets to buy the products/services through your assigned link, you get paid a percentage or a fee.
- Paid Partnerships : this is achieved when you work with other brands in your niche and go into a form of sponsorship or partnership with them. It is a two-way street thing, you earn and also gain more visibility.
- Display Advertising – they are ads that appear in form of text, picture or video when you search on websites to create awareness about a product or service. Google Adsense, integrate into your blog and you get all of the cash after google has deducted its management fee. Aside google, Media.net and Criteo are other advertisement serving platform you can check for your display advertising.
- Sales of your Products/Services – You can make more cool money by just monetizing your culinary abilities. When you have your recipes explained in cookbooks and you put it up for sale on your website, when people buy, you earn. You can let your audience know that you offer consulting services and host cooking experiences with guest of you do and you will get money when you are called for any or both of them. Make sure to advertise yourself everywhere on your social media accounts for more traffic.
Here is a Success Story of a Friend who Owns a Food Blog. Read and Get Inspired.
Linda started her food blog at the time we were university undergraduates. Cooking was and still is so much fun for her. I know that much about her because we shared the same room in the University. I didn’t like to cook much so I didn’t mind her taking over the kitchen which she did very well.
Her love for cooking sprouted her to take pictures of the food she makes. She had lot of the yummy dishes on her phone and she thought to find a way to keep them safe. She started out with keeping them on Instagram.
During one of the school hols, she gave me a call and told me about how she will soon start posting and publishing contents on her blog. Yeah! She signed up for a blog and got herself a catchy name “yumyum donuts”. All she does is write up recipe posts on how to make donuts.
Until she started her blog, I didn’t know that there were so many different ways of making donuts. Even till now she hasn’t exhausted her recipes as she keeps adding more fun to it. I love donuts so it wasn’t hard for her to get me addicted to her blog.
She sells her recipe ebooks and consult for some restaurants too, and gets paid for them. She also engages in paid advertisement especially display advertisements and affiliate marketing.
She has done so well for herself, a food blog influencer to the world. Linda of yumyum donuts to the world.
I really hope that you are inspired to not procrastinate starting your blog but instead you will put all of the tips above into good use and kickstart your food blog. I wish you the best.
Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.